Title: Professor of Plant Biology
DOE Plant Research Lab
612 Wilson Road, Room 210
Michigan State University
E. Lansing MI 48824
office phone: 517-353-4885
- Ph.D., Biological Sciences, 1982, Stanford Univ. Advisor: Peter M. Ray.
- M.S., Plant Pathology, 1978, Cornell University Advisor: Olen C. Yoder.
- A.B., Biology, 1975, University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Professor, Department of Energy Plant Research Laboratory, Michigan State University. 1987-present. Joint appointment in Department of Plant Biology.
- Postdoctoral Associate, ARCO Plant Cell Research Institute, Dublin, CA, 1984-1987.
- NATO Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Rome, Italy, 1983-1984. Postdoctoral Associate, Dept. Plant Breeding, Cornell University, 1981-1983.
Honors and Professional Activies:
- Thomas J. Watson Memorial National Merit Scholarship, 1971-1975.
- Honors in the Major, UC Santa Cruz, 1975.
- Biology Teaching Fellowship, Stanford, 1979-1981.
- National Science Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship, 1976-1979.
- Sabbatical leave, Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management, University of California, Berkeley. Laboratory of John Casida. 1993-1994.
- Senior Editor, Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 1994-1997.
- Editor-in-Chief, Intl. Society for Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions (IS-MPMI) Reporter (Newsletter), 2000-2003.
- Editorial Board, Eukaryotic Cell, 2001-2006.
- Board of Directors, IS-MPMI, 2001-2008.
- President, IS-MPMI, 2003-2005.
- Editorial Committee, Annual Review of Phytopathology, 2003-2006.
- MSU Distinguished Faculty Award, 2002.
- MSU College of Natural Sciences Distinguished Faculty Award, 2002
- Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 2007-2010
- Member of Publications Board, APS, 2007-2010.
- Director of the Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (GLBRC) for MSU, 2007-2013 (P.I. on MSU subcontract from UW-Madison)
- Fellow, American Phytopathological Society, 2008
- ad hoc member, NIH Synthetic and Biological Chemistry B (SBCB) Study Section, 2010
- Fellow, AAAS, 2012